Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sanctuary


Gregory Crewdson photographed his Sanctuary exhibition while visiting Roma. The artist took a tour of Cinecittà, the famed studios where Fellini shot La Dolce Vita and Martin Scorsese made The Gangs of New York. Walking through the interlocking, melancholic streets of sets in ruins, the photographer became fascinated by the deserted ghost town of stages. 'I saw these enormous sets in various degrees of decay and how nature was impinging on them, and I immediately understood… I don’t know if it’s obvious, but while shooting I felt that this whole project was very relevant to the moment. In a period of fragility and collapsing empires and banks closing, I feel like these pictures tend to reflect the moment we’re in.' The photographs are so hauntingly beautiful.