Thursday, January 12, 2012

Italia

'Italy is a dream that keeps returning for the rest of your life.' - Anna Ahkmatova

It seems only right that I begin this new blog with Italy, for it has been both a love and an obsession for a long time. As a child I always loved reading Ancient Roman and Greek stories, the mythology never ceases to fascinate; and as I grew up, this evolved into an interest in everything Classical. But it is to art, and especially the Renaissance, that I owe my love for Italy. The most incredible works of art have emerged from this country, and artisan culture has continued to flourish ever since. I adore the art, history, food, music, and the people of Italy. There is such a wealth of culture not only in an artistic and historical sense, but also in the rustic simplicity of some of the small towns.

Since visiting Italy in 2009, it has been a whirlwind of excitement and wonder as I continue to find out more about the country. I studied Italian for a year at university, and though unfortunately I have since had to focus on doing papers for my majors, the admiration for the language has not been lost, and I keep teaching myself until there is more time to learn properly. My shelves are constantly being added to with new Italian travel, cuisine, and fiction books, and I now have just as many Italian films on DVD as I do English ones. There is something incredible about being able to immerse yourself in another culture, and though there is no way I can fully do that from such a distance, it is enough for now until I can return there, hopefully to live for a while. And to encapsulate this first post, are the words of Federico Fellini; 'Un diverso linguaggio è una diversa visione della vita.' (A different language is a different vision of life.)