Sunday, June 3, 2012

On My Mind

This year has flown by so quickly, it's hard to believe we're already in June. So many amazing things happened over the summer and I met so many incredible friends that have since returned to their home countries; I've found it difficult to move on and have thrown myself into work in a vain attempt to forget. Just when I think I'm over it, a photo comes up or I talk to someone and all the wonderful memories come back, and I miss it all over again. But even though it hurts, I would do it all again; I feel so blessed to have met all the people I did and to have shared such a beautiful summer together.

As our degree is nearing completion, my friends and I are constantly discussing the options for life after university; both anxious and excited for the future. The notion of continuing post-graduate studies is very appealing; probably in Art History as opposed to English or Fine Arts, but I wish I could do all three. Lecturing would be an incredible position, with many opportunities for research and travel. Or I could do a Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching and teach at a high school in New Zealand. Teaching English in Europe would be another option as they seem to be encouraging English in schools and universities increasingly. Education seems they way I am leaning towards at the moment; my part-time job currently tutoring maths and English to 5-14 year old children is so much fun that I can imagine teaching for the rest of my life. There are so many options and so many choices, it's all a little overwhelming. With an upcoming trip to Paris and London, I am sure my inspiration will be renewed and I can become less pensive and more productive in my art-making.