Monday, June 4, 2012

Matthew 6:30

My friend posted something on her blog about her 'birth verse', a Bible verse attributed to a particular day of the year, and intrigued, I followed the link to find mine. A verse from the book of Matthew, in a passage about worry, it is is so extremely applicable right now that I thought I'd post it here. Trusting in God is so difficult, and often I feel so far removed from Him; wanting so much to explore the world, not necessarily to be wild, but to live life without the feeling of boundaries.

For my art project I'm researching the relationship between language structures and their development; growth and erosion, as affected by culture and environment. My friend brought up the interesting idea that the book that has been translated the most, and is constantly being revised, is the Bible. It's fascinating to see how language has changed and the meanings of words have changed; but how the Bible has remained relevant. Here is my birth verse in English, and in Italian just for fun.

'If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?' Matthew 6:30 (NIV)

'Ora se Dio riveste in questa maniera l'erba dei campi, che oggi è e domani è gettata nel forno, quanto più vestirà voi, o uomini di poca fede?' Matteo 6:30 (Nuova Diodati)